Here's what I would argue:
- Bush and the Republican party of fear have demonstrably benefited from Al Qaeda--including a 2004 pre-election tape from Osama himself that helped tip a tight election to Bush.
- It was Bush who diverted U.S. military resources away from hunting down Osama to pursue the fiasco in Iraq, which not only allowed Osama to continue, but also created a new haven and training ground for Al Qaeda in Iraq.
- It was British police work, not Bush military interventions that foiled the most recent plot.
- Chuck Roberts and CNN are strong candidates for positioning themselves as the second-string Carl Rove media outlet, behind Fox News.
- Roberts, and CNN owe Lamont, the Connecticut Democrats who nominated him, and the country an abject apology.
(tags: CNN, Lamont, Al Qaeda)